Sunday, June 22, 2008

St Louis Tea Room (Not the Russian Tea Room)

Where do you go to lunch with Granny? The St. Louis Tea Room.


There you’ll find house baked
scones (with sprinkles even!),
either plain or peach ginger (dang!), clotted cream, homemade sangria jelly, and lots and lots of teas. Those are the standards.




If it’s your birthday, you get an exploding
mint tea flower… now that’s awesome!


You can also order an artichoke-heart/cream cheese-stuffed portabella mushroom for an appetizer, and for lunch, a variety of sandwiches, salads, soups, and quiches.



I had the garden veggie salad with
sunflower seeds, cheese, tomatoes, cucumbers, etc., plus the vegetarian (I asked!) cream of asparagus soup. And even the salad dressings are house made here… this one was cabernet wine dressing. The veggie of the day was corn soufflĂ©, if you’re into puffed food, and if you are, be sure to order the ambrosia as well!

At various intervals throughout the meal, one of the period-dressed waitresses will read to you from their favorite books; maybe a little Edgar Lee Masters or Edgar Albert Guest. I requested a little Ogden Nash, but apparently, he’s “hard to read”*.

*I have to respectfully disagree on that point, and I leave you with these words by Mr. Nash:

My Dream



This is my dream,
It is my own dream,
I dreamt it.
I dreamt that my hair was kempt.
Then I dreamt that my true love unkempt it.

Easy, right? But maybe it doesn’t go with scones.

No comments: