Friday, June 13, 2008

Hummus Parade

Ok this has long been in the making. Me and hummus? We go waaaaay back. We have a solid relationship, really. But like any relationship, we have our ups and downs. Here's a little looky back into our history:

1) Top hummus ever, without a doubt, of course it's in New York City, is from the Hummus Place. Now this one was odd: it was a ring of hummus around the bowl, drizzled with really nice olive oil and topped with some herbs, but also there was a tomato and avocado garnish, as well as an egg! Wha? Dunno. But it was freaking fabulous. I've had it several times now, as it's become part of my NY routine.


2) Blackberry Cafe, St. Louis, MO, will remain 2nd on my list. Best I can figure, this stuff has some eggplant in it, because it's very light and tangy and has a very unusual texture. I asked and asked, but the owner wouldn't spill the (garbanzo) beans of his secret. In fact, he was always kind of a jerk about it, maintaining that I wouldn't frequent the cafe if I could make the hummus myself. Now that's just tarded. But one of the waitresses finally leaked that red wine vinegar was a secret ingredient.... (thanks, girl!).


Unfortunately, no photo is available. And Blackberry closed. I heard rumors that they moved, but I have yet to dine at their new location, which means that it doesn't exist.


3) Let's see, I think I'd put Aya Sofia next. They are truly Mediterranean with their pitas and baba ganouj. I think I liked this one so much because of the curtains, as well as because it came with other dips. Somehow the multitude of ground bean products enhanced the hummus's value
4) I'm not sure this is an accurate ranking order, but that's OK. Suffice it to say that I heart Hummus, and these were photo worthy, so that should say something. So 4 is Schlafly Bottleworks. Now, if they still had their black soybean hummus from several years ago, that baby would earn a 2, if not tie for first, but their regular old chick-pea hummus is good nonetheless. It comes topped with tapenade (which I'm learning to love. I am learning to love tapenade.) and feta and red onions. But the best part are the flat breads and pitas, which for some reason, are freaking amazing. It's all in the bread, some would say!!

5) Ok I gotta give the Royale props. I mean, I've eaten the hummus there are no less than 14 occasions, which is a lot, given my love for their Caprice salad. Theirs is a regular old chickpea hummus, but it's surrounded by pitas with lots of paprika. It's also topped with tapenade and feta, which just really always ups the ante.

Believe it or not, no photo available! Wha? It must be one of those things like how you forget to say hi to your mom at your wedding or something--you know she's there, but you get caught up in the moment. (that didn't happen) (I have no idea what that means)


6) Let's see... of the hummuses I can recall and that I do have photos of, then I'm going to throw the one from Oasis in St. Louis on here next. It's a typical Mediterranean lunch place (although the owner assures me they have lunch, they have dinner, they have breakfast, they have late night, they have wireless, they have wine, they have beer, they have everything, so come over!). This one came with a feast of falafel and Greek salad and other goodies. It was tasty. And tzatziki is just yummy. I mean wow. 7) Next up? I cannot forget my fateful lunch at Stellina, and the lovely hummus with crispy pita and roasted red peppers (and olives) (shhh) (don't tell). It was yummy, we know. We remember, right? I'm hungry... anyone wanna grab some lunch???
8) I also have made several attempts at hummus in my very own home. It shouldn't be hard--chick peas, tahini, garlic, lemon [and red wine vinegar! hahaha hahaha hahaha!], but it never quite does the right thing. I've Italianized it with some herbs, I've added water to loosen it up, I've roasted red peppers and mixed them in, but still, nothing doing. It's edible, but it's not magic. And we all know that we need a little magic to sustain a long-term relationship. Nevertheless, here's one of my attempts:


9) Last on my list is Kaldi's. It's not that their hummus was bad, in fact, their little Mediterranean lunch platter was pretty good, but it's just beans, really, in the end. With some lettuce. I dig it, but someone's gotta bring up the rear.

Well, me and hummus have a long life ahead of us, so we'll see where it takes us. Hopefully it will take us back to NY. Partly because of the hummus, but also just because everything's better in NY. Seriously. But in the mean time, if anyone has any foolproof hummus recipes to share, do it!!

No comments: