Sunday, June 22, 2008

Save Me!

Holy Revival!

Whenever I hear the word revival I inevitably think of some sort of saving—the kind where you have hands laid on you and you writhe a little from the ecstasy. That almost happened to me at Al Green’s Church in Memphis, TN, but my friend saved me from such saving.

This REVIVAL is not so much about hands laying on, but it could be religious. If you’re food obsessed, anyway.

It’s the old King Louie’s, which I never had the pleasure of patronizing, but I can’t imagine anything better than this incarnation anyway.

First, the menu. I love it. I love everything about it. It’s got lots to offer—lots of small plates, cold and hot, salads, snacks, soups, and also entrees. But not snax like chips; rather, it’s nice foodie food. Yes, they do the “new” STL standard mac-and-cheese (and yes, I know that’s so 5 years ago everywhere else in the country… but give us a break, dude, we’re a little slow on the uptake), but they also offer a beet and beet green salad (holy revival!), chilled cucumber and potato soup (holy revival!), a chilled zucchini, tomato, and mozzarella salad (holy revival!) and so on.

There were veggie entrée options, plus pizzas and such, but truly, there were so many yummy sides I didn’t even look at them. This is one of the first places I’ve ever been in STL where I felt like there were choices! I’m a woman, I like my choices, but usually, it’s a pizza, not a choice in these parts. But I didn’t even have to consider the pizzas this time. Wow!

And then friend wanted the bread pudding , and I’m not usually into bread pudding, but I’m kinda off the desserts lately for some reason, so I didn’t argue; however, the dessert menu was equally bountiful, offering spiced nuts, donuts, cake, ice cream, you name it.

This was some sort of brioche, I think, and the top was super crusty, and then it was topped with melty chocolate, not Hershey’s, and wow. Just wow. The bread pudding connoisseur wasn’t thrilled with it, so maybe it was not standard, but I thought it was divine.


The thing I like best about Revival is that it’s in the super industrial area, with literally nothing around, but the patio is this lush oasis filled with flowers and herbs and plants and bamboo and lovely people and yummy smells. And the chef totally spilled the beans on the cucumber soup recipe, too, which is so freaking awesome!! I’m going back without a doubt. I feel a stirring inside, it’s time to be saved, lay those hands on me, people! Amen!


No comments: