Thursday, July 3, 2008

Food Musings: Part I

Well, some of you know that my life has changed lately. In some fairly major ways. And though these ways are largely un-food-related, because of me being who I am, Megfood, these changes definitely have made an impact on my eating. Most notably, I’ve been eating out. A lot. As if to say, “Life, you may give me lemons, but I’m going to eat out. At fabulous restaurants! And I'm going to love it!!” I’ve tried new places in STL, I have happy houred all over town, I’ve enjoyed countless working lunches, and generally, I’ve just chowed down.

But life is throwing me another major life-changing event in about 6 weeks, and this one will have a definite, certain, tangible impact on my eating.

I am going to law school.

I am quitting my job.

I am preparing for my future as a Food Critic (wait, what? I mean, my future as an Attorney.)

And I am living on….. student loans.
Ack!
And though I’ve been polite, neither Mohela nor Wachovia, nor Commerce Bank nor Bank of America, have agreed to my request for extra funding for gourmet food. So that means that me living high on the vegan hog’s days are numbered; we’re at T-6 weeks and counting. And after that, oh my, I’ll be facing the long, lonely frozen food aisle.


Double Ack!

In homage to some of the best food I’ve had this summer and to those of my friends that cooked it, and in acknowledgment of the fact that my days in restaurants are numbered, I’d like to take a moment to honor the greatness that is eating at home.

And I’d also like to add, politely and with full esteem and graciousness, that if any of these generous, talented, remarkable cooks’ cups ever runneth over, or their plates ever overfloweth, then they should feel free, at any time, to call me from the depths of ramen and I will gratefully partake of their feasts. Here’s to you!
  • Sister's famous brownies

  • Black bean and roasted veggie casserole

  • Friend's Grandma's famous Spanish tortila

  • Hot veggie salad

  • Homemade mama mia spaghetti

  • Roasted sweet potato wraps...



















Delicious!!!






In the mean time, however, I've got 6 weeks of fine dining, so let's let 'er rip!!!

1 comment:

Dry-ice said...

I really do feel for you. I have been living off ramon, hamburger helper, and the Mc bock-bock nuggets for the last four years -- I have about one more year to go. My case is sad really, I just can't figure out what to be when I grow up. I wish you good luck and god speed.