Saturday, March 22, 2008

M'eggs

After a long workout, I always crave protein. Eggs were the last animal product I quit in the process of becoming a "near vegan" (first bacon, then chicken, then all meat, then fish, then milk, then butter, then most cheese, then eggs). It's not that I thought they were the least offensive, but rather than I just rarely ate them, so it didn't matter much. When I started thinking about what they were, however, I quit them cold turkey (eggy?) (sorry), and never looked back. Ew, right? Leaky food = gross.

Until the B12 scare.

Then I thought that even a small risk of mild retardation wasn't worth it, so if I was craving eggs, I'd go for it. Now I eat them about once weekly after my long Saturday visits to the Y. Here's what I do:

1. baby bellas, sliced, sauted in olive oil and balsamic
2. tomatoes (fresh or canned and diced)
3. handfuls of baby spinach
4. optional add-ins: diced red pepper, onion, artichoke hearts, asparagus
5. once that's mostly cooked, crack two eggs on the other side of the skillet and cook over easy
6. toast whole grain bread (preferably Seeduction bread from Whole Foods!), "butter" with Earth Balance, top all on to bread, top that with a little feta


mmmmmm..... m'eggs....

and a glass of fresh-squeezed grapefruit/orange juice and a banana and a DECAF SOY MOCHA!

Happy Saturday!

No comments: