Wednesday, May 28, 2008

grown-up groceries

Many moons ago, probably in the 90s (didn't everything happen in the 90s?), I ran into a pal at the grocery store. In my basket?
  • 3 totinos party pizzas, meat deluxe (party on, dude, seriously)

  • 5 boxes kraft mac and cheese

  • 10 packs chicken-flavored ramen (10 for $1, remember?)

  • hamburger helper

  • tuna helper (oh god)

  • 2 2-liter bottles of soda--one Dr. Pepper and one Pepsi

  • chips a'hoy! [yes this is an actual list]

  • and a laundry basket (when you're living on grocery cards from mom and dad, you gotta take advantage!)
Friend had fruits, veggies, fresh basil (what?), bread, milk, chicken breasts, yogurt, etc. Huh?

Even in my mid-90s state, I knew somethin' was funny. The fact that I subsisted on tuna helper just didn't ring totally true with me. But whatevs. Such was life.

Years later, I recall that occurrence. And I show you this:


Yes, I survived my box-food transfat high-fructose years, I lived to tell, and I'm here to stay. Friend, and you know who you are, thanks. Just thanks. I do know how to use basil, and I'm not afraid. Amen, brotha.

1 comment:

Stephanie E. said...

Yeah, I remember when my grocery shopping trips were like that. My diet was so notoriously, disgustingly junk food- and meat-centric. Hamburgers, hot dogs, Pringles, Twinkies--god, I was disgusting. That feels like a whole other lifetime!